Taken from the original posting on Betsy Butler’s campaign website:
Welcome and thank you for visiting my website.
I have been humbled and honored to serve in the California State Legislature. I am grateful for the opportunity to work with the diverse people and organizations in my district to improve the quality of life of all Californians.
I am very proud to have focused on legislation that represents my values during my first two-year term. I have worked to protect the most vulnerable Californians and give a voice to the unheard. I continue to fight for environmental and consumer protections, equality for all, safe and healthy lives for our seniors and to support those who have served this country.
My legislative package during my first term in the Assembly reflects what I stand for:
Fighting for our children. Fighting for our seniors.
- I authored, and signed into law by Governor Brown, AB 1319 – The Toxin-Free Infants and Toddlers Act — which will prohibit the manufacture, sale or distribution of baby bottles and sippy cups that contain the harmful chemical Bisphenol-A (BPA).
- I also authored, and had signed into law, bills to protect our elderly against identity theft (AB 332) and to allow seniors and dependent adults to publicly speak out against their abusers (AB 2149).
Standing up for our veterans.
- During my term, I was an incredibly honored to have been named the 2011 Legislator of the Year by the Vietnam Veterans of America and the 2012 Legislator of the Year by the American Veterans (AMVETS) for my continuous personal and legislative commitment to those who have sacrificed so much for our country (AB 2371, AB 2490 and AB 1940).
Protecting consumers. Working for green growth.
- Governor Brown also signed legislation protecting consumers from fraudulent businesses (AB 2118) and green growth legislation designed to increase the use of electric and hybrid vehicles (AB 475).
Bringing awareness to critical issues.
- I introduced AB 2346 to safeguard California farmworkers from abusive work conditions and ensure shade and water is readily available.
- I introduced AB 972 to place a moratorium on hydraulic fracking, the dangerous and harmful process to extract oil from bedrock deep underground. Fracking poses a contamination threat to our drinking water.
Quality of life.
- In partnership with the neighborhoods, community and local elected leaders of the 53rd District, we have worked to secure land and protect city attractions, made our Sepulveda Tunnel cleaner and safer and our highways less dangerous. We have fought to ensure our waterways are safe so boaters and beach-goers alike are able to enjoy our beautiful beaches. Bikeways and open space remain a priority for the district and I will fight with you to ensure our Southern California lifestyle is enhanced and is as productive as possible.
Together, we have accomplished plenty in the last two years but there is much more to do to ensure our communities and our families are safe, healthy and vital.
I have proudly fought with you for the environment, consumer protection, seniors, women, equality and our veterans and their families. We have experienced legislative victories, engaged in serious policy discussions and played active roles in moving our state forward.
I will continue my commitment to giving a voice to the unheard and look forward to hearing from you on how best I can serve you.